Note: Updated on 2013-04-14
Baba Joan’s Bread
- 6 cups flour (2 lb)
- 2 cups water *
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 pkgs yeast
- 1 tbs salt
- 1/4 cup honey or 1/4 cup sugar (2 oz)
- 2 eggs (up to five for a super rich Challah)*
- wheat germ (not for Challah)
- 1 tbs cider vinegar (helps keep bread longer)
- 2-3 tbs vital wheat gluten (for a higher rise)
- egg wash
Put yeast in 1/2 cup water – let rise until it looks like beer. Mix dry ingredients, add wet. Mix well adding additional water to get a moist but barely sticky dough*. Knead until elastic.
Let rise until double and knead again. Shape and put in pans or on a tray if braided. Let rise again. brush with egg wash and sprinkle with seeds if desired.
Bake at 350F for approximately half an hour.
* note – how much additional water will depend on the liquid in the honey and the eggs.
From Dad’s recipe book. Page 1.
6 cups flour (2 lb)
2 cups water (+ 1/4 cup if honey isn’t used)
1/4 cup oil
2 pkgs yeast
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup honey or 1/4 (4 oz) cups sugar (see above)
Put yeast in water – let rise ntil it looks like beer. Mix dry ingredients, add wet. Mix well and knead. Let rise and knead again. Shake and put in pans. Let rise. Bake at 350F for approximately half an hour.