Justin & Meredith Winokur's Kitchen Cooking Notebook
Our Recipe Book ·
Steven's Recipe Book ·
Ann's Recipe Book ·
All Tags ·
Home > pages > my-recipe-book > Stuffed Mushroom Casserole (with Chicken)
Stuffed Mushroom Casserole (with Chicken) Wednesday, January 16, 2019, 09:22 PM
Stuffed Mushroom Casserole
Based on this recipe with changes mostly from 2018-10-31 and 2018-11-13
This recipe is mostly a guide
- 1 lbs chicken, cut into ~1 inch cubes (optional)
- flour for chicken (if using)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves or garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4-5 Tbsp butter, divided
- 16-20 oz sliced mushrooms
- 3/4 to 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3/4 to 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs or, make your own with regular or panko crumbs and seasonings such as Italian seasoning, 21 Seasoning Salute, Crushed red pepper (very good), etc
- 1/4 cup french fried onions (a la French's) or homemade frizzled shallots
- Coat the chicken in the flour if using. Toss together in a plastic bag to speed it up and make it easier
- Saute the chicken with oil (or butter) until fully cooked. Remove from pan and set aside
- Saute onions with 1-2 Tbsp butter in the same pan until translucent. Add the garlic (or garlic powder) and mushroom and cook until golden. Season to taste. Let some of the water drain or strain it carefully
- Cool slightly in baking dish. It helps to let this cool so all of the cheese doesn't melt before you can mix it well. If prepping ahead, stop here or the next step.
- Add the cheese and mix well
- Combine 3-4 Tbsp butter with breadcrumbs. If making your own seasoned bread crumbs, do so before mixing with butter
- Mix in HALF the breadcrumbs to the mushrooms
- Add the fried onions to the remaining breacrumbs and use it to top the casserole.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes or until golden
Prep Ahead: So as to prevent the breadcrumbs and fried onions from getting soggy, stop before adding the cheese or the breadcrumbs. Cook for a little bit longer to account for a colder casserole.
Stroganoff: As noted on the original recipe, add a spoonful of (light) sour cream before serving.