Justin & Meredith Winokur's Kitchen Cooking Notebook
Our Recipe Book ·
Steven's Recipe Book ·
Ann's Recipe Book ·
All Tags ·
Home > posts > 2013 > 11 > Brew 08: Dirty Brown Ale
Brew 08: Dirty Brown Ale Sunday, November 17, 2013, 09:05 PM
(PDF) (TXT) (HTML) (xml local)
Dirty Brown (From Jamil)
By Brewing Classic Styles
American Brown Ale
1.25 gallons (fermentor volume)
70% (brew house)
1.043 (recipe based estimate)
American - Pale 2-Row
American - Caramel / Crystal 40L
American - Dark Chocolate
American - Caramel / Crystal 60L
American - Victory
Heat to 165
Dunk into 175
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.3 qt/lb
Wyeast - American Ale 1056
60 - 72 F
2013-11-17 Brew Day:
These are my notes. I was also bottling Brew 006 at the same time
- (3:16) Start heating 3.7qt=14.8 cups. Just did 14.75
- Heat to 165 for 152 mash
- 4 cups of room temp water ready to lower temp
- overshot temp to 174. Wait to cool. Pulled a few cups and replaced with room temp
- (3:38) Mashed in. Too thick in my opinion. Thinner next time!
- Hit 152 exactly. Hold 15
- T-45. Temp=149 but notconsistent. Heat on 3/10 while stirring. Took a while to 150 then jumped to 156. Hold 20 or so (finally at T-40 min)
- I'm going to mix this up. I'll boilseparately 1.6 qt to infuse to 168 (a according to Brewers Friend). Then sparge with 4.4-1.6=3.8qt.
- 1.6 qt=6.4 qt=1514ml
- T-18, Temp=152°F. Hold 10 or so
- T-9. Temp=148 then dropped as I stirred..Need to investigate why this is so inconsistenteven with the heat.
- Infused the water. Still had to add some heat.Why didn't the formula work? My two guesses are that some of the water had steamed away when I was trying to boil it. And that it may not have been boiling when I added
- Used a newish technique to squeeze the bag. I used the silicon pot holders to push really hardagainstthe screen. It seemed to work well as I got a lot more water out. I may need to retune myabsorption.
- 4.4375 qt from first running (plus mashout infusion)
- Heat on first run (5:00)
- Hop Adjust: Horizon 0.11oz13% (recipe)/10.1%=14.1 oz. Amarillo: 0.25 oz9/10.1=0.22, 0.44==>0.39
- 3.75qt from second running
- Preboil OG 1/049@55 and 7.8125 qt ==> 91% pre-boil efficiency
- (5:23) boil!
- Missed the 15 by 45 seconds.Also added Irish Moss and Yeast Nutrient
- (6:24) Into Ice
- 6:37/95F. Lid on. Added more ice
- Going to pitch the whole packet despite knowing 1/2 or so will die. I have more than enough still and I don't want to save it
- 6:44 75F. Pull it
- 1.061 @75 --> 1.062
- Aerated. Sprinkled yeast. Stirred gently
- 15.6cm --1.48 gal
- __6:54. Put away. Most cleanup finished too
- BF says 88% efficiency
- I wonder if I am risking other problems with such high efficiency. Also, what caused it?
2013-12-07 Bottle Log:
I had put the fermenter in the fridge on Thursday Night to cold crash (about 48 hours)
- 1.016 @ ~43F --> 1.015 and 6.17% ABV
- 12.35 cm 00> 1.12 gal or 4.49 qt
- 11.9 12 oz bottles so aim for 11 with large safety margin
- Actually, with 4 oz H2O for priming could get 12ish. Plan for 12 in case
- Carb to 2.4 vol but still not sure on temp.
- If T=43F, 0.66oz dextrose, if T=68F, 0.93 oz dextrose
- Plan for 0.75 oz which is 2.55 vol at 43 and 2.1 vol at 68
- Filled 11 cleanly and just drank the last one.
- 3 weeks will be 2013-12-28
This page was converted from Wordpress with a custom script by Justin Winokur. Most links and images should still work. However, if any links are broken, see the HTML (or Markdown) source to try to deduce the intended destination.
Original WP Post ID: 6907
Original WP Pub Date: 2013-11-17_210518