Justin & Meredith Winokur's Kitchen Cooking Notebook
Our Recipe Book ·
Steven's Recipe Book ·
Ann's Recipe Book ·
All Tags ·
Home > posts > 2013 > 10 > APA from Brewing Classic Styles
APA from Brewing Classic Styles Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 11:18 AM
Homebrew 7. Wes helped me with this brew.
(PDF) (TXT) (HTML) (XML -- Stored locally)
By Brewing Classic Styles, p. 135
American Pale Ale
1.375 gallons (fermentor volume)
70% (brew house)
1.045 (recipe based estimate)
American - Pale 2-Row
American - Munich - Dark 20L
American - Victory
American - White Wheat
Strike at 164
Dunk Sparge (water at 175)
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.4 qt/lb
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
59 - 75 F
0.75 (M cells / ml / P)
Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/
2013-10-22 Brew Day:
Below are my notes
- (6:07pm) Strike calls for 4.6 qt=1 gal + 2.44 cups. Strike with 1 gal 2.5 cups
- Aim for 164°F for a 152°F mash
- (6:28) Mashed in. Stabilized at 154. Need to adjust calibration. Hold for 15-20min
- t-45min, 152°F. Hold 10min
- t-35min, 148°F. Heat 3/10 to 155°F
- t-16, T=152 Hold 6. I don;t think this will hold to the end
- Started heating sparge. 4.1qt=1gal 0.4 cups. Do 1gal+1/3 cup b/c of extra before
- t-8min, ~145 (_Why such a drop? Too early of a measure before at 16?)._Heat 3/10
- t-3min, Still heating. Will just bring to mash-out now.
- First runnings - Not cool runnings (thanks Wes!) 4qt (7:48)
- Adjust bittering hop: Note that the recipe in the book calls for Horizon. We used Magnum. Anyway: 0.15oz*15%AA (recipe)/14.6 %AA(actual)==0.154oz (so keep at 0.15oz)
- 4 qts second running_plus_ 1.5 cups left. Total of 8 qts (non-temp adjusted) in boil kettle
- SG 1.051 @80F (cooled with mini-ice bath) == 1.053.
- Brewer's Friend says 87% pre-kettle efficiency (but that does not temp-adjust the volume)
- Other hop adjustments (both 10 and 0 min require the same). Cascade: 0.13oz6%AA(recipe)/7.3%AA(actual) ==> 0.106 oz. Centennial: 0.13oz 10%AA(recipe)/8.7 %AA(actual) ==> 0.149oz ~=0.15 oz
- Realized we used distilled water by accident for sparge. Oops!
- (~8:18 or so, boil started. Didn't note it but I noted when it went to the ice)
- Missed 10 min addition. Added at 7min. We'll add 1min 30 seconds to boil. Shouldn't matter too much
- (9:15) yeast in boiled H20 cooled to 100°F
- (9:19) BK into ice
- Time/Temps: 9:30/98F (no more steam - lid on). 9:38/76F. Pull it
- 9:34 Stirred yeast
- OG: 1.071@~72 == 1.072
- 9:47 pitched.
- The yeast didn not really foam up like I would have expected and it has in the past. It should be fine, but I will check it tomorrow to see for activity. I can always run out and buy another pack to pict tomorrow
- 14.6cm -->1.37 gal = 5.49 qts.
- Brewer's Friend says 81% Brew House Efficiency
- Short brew day. Cool!
- Just to note, we bottled the Old Warmer (beer 5) while this was happening
- Also note, the yeast was half a packet, stored in the fridge, from brew 006 (Sour Scotch). That may have had an affect.
2013-10-23 morning update:
- Still no yeast activity. Will checkin the afternoon and possible have to re-pitch.
2013-10-23 Afternoon update:
- very, very little activity. SeeVIDEO. I think I am going to repitch
- Bought new yeast packet. Opened fermenter. There was a slight krausen but not much. It may have been fine but I decided to give it a shot. I opened the new packet (spilled a little all over the place too), added it, put the lid on, and gave it a slight shake to agitate it and get it down
- For all I know, it will now ferment but it will be oxidized. I guess only time will tell[
I placed the bucket into the fridge on 2013-11-17 after I bottled the Sour Scotch Ale (#6). So it had about 3 days of cold crashing. Below are my notes
- I'm curious about the volumes before racking: Full:15.1cm (1.43 gal), Trub: 3.4 cm (0.20 gal)
- FG 1.020 @ about 40-45 ( Later decided it was 43 from the strip on the bottling bucket)
- 12.3cm --> 1.12 gal (11.9 bottles so use 11 and be be sure)
- Calibrated, that is FG: 1.019 with an ABV of 6.96% and an attenuation of 73.6%
- Aiming for 2.4 vol (using 70F as the temp) which comes to 0.95 oz corn sugar
- Still used 1/2 cup water. Used tap water since it will be boiled anyway and isn't much
I bottled it which went well. I had almost another full beer which I just drank. I do recognize that it has extra sugar from the priming sugar but it was way too sweet. Probably from overshooting the efficiency by such large numbers making it too sweet. Had I known the OG was so high before racking it, I would have considered adding some sugar to try to bring it down. I really need to start updating my recipes for the higher efficiency. Or, go full BIAB and let the lack of sparge be the reason for the lower efficiency.
2013-12-07 Note: 3 weeks will be 2012-12-11 but may need morebecause of temp and cold-crash leaving less yeast
This page was converted from Wordpress with a custom script by Justin Winokur. Most links and images should still work. However, if any links are broken, see the HTML (or Markdown) source to try to deduce the intended destination.
Original WP Post ID: 6803
Original WP Pub Date: 2013-10-22_111815