Justin & Meredith Winokur's Kitchen Cooking Notebook

Sitemap · Our Recipe Book · Steven's Recipe Book · Ann's Recipe Book · All Tags · Copied Recipes


Home >
KitchenKatalog, page 1

<<<<     page 1     >>>>

Turkey Arugula Patties

Sunday, February 02, 2020, 07:30 PM

Meredith and I made Lamb and pistachio patties with sumac yogurt sauce with our now-normal change of using poultry instead of lamb and baking them instead of frying.

I made them into small patties (used 2 oz cookie scoop) and then flattened them. I cooked them at 400°F for about 10 minutes then broiled them for a few more.

Meredith also made the sumac sauce. It was very tart (as expected) but Caroline really seemed to like it

Waffled French Toast Grilled Cheese

Sunday, February 02, 2020, 09:30 AM

Meredith made Waffled French Toast from "Weekday, Weekend" by A Beautiful Mess book (LOCAL). It worked pretty well though made a big mess on the waffle iron. Meredith may have some more comments.

I also played around with the waffle iron and used it to toast bread with butter. I tried putting margarine on the bread (the spreadable kind), brushing the bread with real butter, and brushing the waffle iron with real butter. All three worked well and was very good.

Mint Chocolate Chip Cake

Friday, January 31, 2020, 09:12 PM

Meredith made a Mint Chocolate Chip cake from Cakes by Courtney (LOCAL). She followed the cake recipe and even the main butter cream one but subbed Crème de Menthe for the mint extract (which, by the way, the amount of mint extract in the original sounds crazy). That gave it a nice flavor and a nice color. She also added two drops of teal gel food coloring. She also added 2 tsp (ish) of espresso powder.

Her only note for next time is that the recipe has you set aside too much buttercream for in between layers and leaves you without enough to do a good job coating the cake. So next time, either set aside less and/or make extra butter cream.

It was very good! The cake was super moist and the mint flavor was subtle but tasty. It was also very pretty though took a lot of work to place all of the chocolate chips

Ham and Cheese Pinwheels

Friday, January 31, 2020, 09:10 PM

Meredith made Ham and Cheese Pinwheels from Well Plated (LOCAL). She really just followed the recipe. It was pretty easy. The only thing is you do not get 48 from that. Meredith got about half

Lemon Garlic Shrimp

Monday, January 27, 2020, 07:51 PM

Standard Lemon Garlic Shrimp but without crushed red pepper since Caroline was going to eat it. I made a 2 lbs batch. I was nervous since last time I made a big batch, it wasn't as good. But this time I still made sure to carefully lay them all out and I think that helped.

Lasagna Soup

Sunday, January 26, 2020, 09:49 PM

I made our pretty standard lasagna soup without many changes. The only real thing I did was to use an extra can of tomatoes and I went heavy on the peppers. I also skipped anything spicy so we could give it to Caroline

Date Night at Home

Saturday, January 25, 2020, 09:09 PM

We had a date-night dinner. The main thing was bacon-wrapped filet mignon we got from Kansas City Steaks as a gift. We also had bagged Asian Style salad and toasted ciabatta rolls.

The steak was supposed to be vacuum sealed but one was not so I re-bagged it. The other I used right in the package. I sous-vide cooked it at 135° for about 3 hours as per Serious Eats. I seared them on a super hot pan first with ghee and then adding some butter to the tops. I also made sure to get the sides to the bacon was crispy.

The biggest issue is I forgot salt! Both before the bag and then after searing! Oops. Next time, I will just open and rebag the steak and add salt there!

So it was a nice fancy(ish) meal and pretty easy!

Spaghetti Squash Carbonara

Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 08:51 PM

Meredith made Baked Spaghetti Squash Carbonara with the recipe from The Kitchn (LOCAL). She followed that recipe pretty closely except used the spaghetti squash instruction from Love and Lemons (LOCAL). She went heavy on the ricotta and light on the salt but otherwise stayed pretty true to the recipe. It came out really good and also smelled good too! We will do this again!

<<<<     page 1     >>>>