Justin & Meredith Winokur's Kitchen Cooking Notebook
Our Recipe Book ·
Steven's Recipe Book ·
Ann's Recipe Book ·
All Tags ·
Home > posts > 2013 > 12 > Brew C2: Cider again
Brew C2: Cider again Saturday, December 07, 2013, 07:16 PM
I brewed cider like last time using the following:
- White House Apple Cider (From Walmart. No preservatives noted)
- Old Orchard 100% Apple Juice Frozen Concentrate
- Lalvin EC-1118 Yeast
My notes are below but I am filling in a lot of it (also note that the juice came in plastic so I was adding it to the glass)
- Defrosted juice concentrate. Poured 3/4 cup into glass jug (through funnel).
- Poured out 3/4 cup juice
- Added about 1/3 of the juice onto concentrate. Shook the whole thing
- Added another 1/3 and shook.
- Added the rest and shook.
- Took SG reading: 1.060
- added 1/4 tsp yeast nutrient
- added about 1/2 pack (actually, measured to 3.6 g so ~3/4 of the pack) yeast
- I again decided to add the yeast without rehydrating since I was over pitching by enough
- Shook the whole thing and put away
Took about 20-30 minutes. Would have been shorter had I not lostthe yeast pack and had to find it
Out of curiosity, I took SG readings on the juice and the concentrate. The juice was 1.050 and the concentrate was off the reading by a huge margin.
Note that this was also my first time using a refractometer so I used both that and the hydrometer. It has been 36 days since it was brewed.
- Hydrometer, 1.001 @ fridge temp so 1.000 by Brewers Friend
- Refractometer says 4.9 Brix
- OG was 1.060 which, according to this is 14.72 Brix
- When I plug into the Sean Terrill calculator, it says that it is 1.0048 but alsos ays that 14.72 is below 1.060. So, I played with Sean Terrill's calculator to set the OG Brix to 15.33==>1,060. Then, it says FG is 1.0042.
- Using 1.060-->1.000 igve 7.88% ABV. Using 1.060--->1.0042 in Brewers Friends gives 7.2% ABV. 15.33-->4.9 on Sean Terrill gives 7.35 % ABV
- 10.8cm so 0.95 gal. I'll do 8x12oz and 1x22 oz
- Carb to 2.75 vol with temp at 65
- 0.95oz dextrose and 0.86 oz sucrose. I used surcrose
- Had to stir more to get the sucrose to dissolve but not a big deal.
- Packaged all just fine. Ready on 2014-02-02
Original Wordpress ID and Date: 6989, 2013-12-07_191646