Justin & Meredith Winokur's Kitchen Cooking Notebook
Our Recipe Book ·
Steven's Recipe Book ·
Ann's Recipe Book ·
All Tags ·
Home > posts > 2014 > 03 > Homebrew 11: Golden Strong Wheat
Homebrew 11: Golden Strong Wheat Monday, March 03, 2014, 09:33 PM
The recipe for this beer is below. It is inspired by Uniboue
Don De Dieu (oops, see note 1). I found some what of a clone HERE which I used as a base with a few changes. Most notably, I changed the yeast and I used cane sugar. The yeast I went to is the one from Duvel Brewery which is a classic golden strong.
My plan is to brew it and let it sit in primary for 6-8 weeks (at least 2-3 if not more in the chamber). I will then bottle and condition for another 6-8 weeks. I plan to ferment around 68.
Note 1: I_wanted_to do a Don De Dieu clone but I this recipe clones La Fin Du Monde. Oh well, itshouldn't matter. That is also a good beer.
Golden Strong Wheat
Belgian Golden Strong Ale
1.25 gallons (fermentor volume)
70% (brew house)
1.039 (recipe based estimate)
Belgian - Pilsner
American - Wheat
American - Aromatic Malt
Cane Sugar - (late addition)
Heat all volume to ~155 for 149 mash
Wyeast - Belgian Strong Ale 1388
64 - 80 F
Roughly based on: http://justbrewit.net/~dennis/LaDebutDuMonde/
Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2014-03-03 23:33 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2014-03-03 23:32 UTC
2014-03-03Brew Day Notes:
I actually took these on the computer while I was going.
- 4:30 9 quarts on 10/10 aiming for 155
- 04:39: popped yeast
- The pot is pretty full. I am nervous about it all fitting. I guess we'll see. If it does seem likt it will all fit. The plan is to pull out some water and I'll do a sparge.
- 5:11 Doughed in. It all fit. I was a bit too high temp wise at about 156.5. It settled around 151.4 but I do think that my thermometer is off by about 0.5 degree IIRC. I'll just hold there. Start 90 minutes. Check in 20-30
- t-1:02 T=146 and change. Added heat on 5/10 (lots more water than usual) while stirring to about 151. Hold for 20-30
- t-37. 149.2. Hold for 10
- t-27 147.7. Heat 5/10 to 151
- I am wondering if I should go a bit longer than 90 min. Jamil always seems to say 90 min when using 149 but many BIAB things say to go for 90 min always. Should I add more?
- I gave it a bit more time. Maybe 5-10 minutes.
- Heated to 165 and held for 5-10.
- Pulled bag and cooling rack. I started the heat while I squeezed the bag into a different pot to then be added to.
- Note, this is the first time that I used a freezer bag to insulate the pot. I think it worked very well. Much better than towels even when they were wrapped right around. I'll do it from now on!
- Just a thought, I hope I did't overshoot on the volume. I seem to recall using 2.1 gal for 90 minutes before but I didn't look back. We'll see.
- The pot, when roughly measured from the outside is 83.2 cm or 32.76''. There is probably a bit of error there but I'll keep it. Therefore the diameter is 10.43 in. When I measure roughly from the top, it looks like 10.25''. I'll use 10.25 because my guess is that it is standard. Anyway, it was at the 15.6 cm line which means it is 30.6-15.6=15 cm or 5.91". V=pir^2h = pi/4d^2h = pi/4*(10.25"^2)(5.91") = 487.7 cubic inches. WA says that is 8.45 quarts.
- Pulled a tiny sample just as it was going to boil. It separated as it cooled but I stirred before I took the refractometer reading (note, need to look up if that is the way to do it!). Anyway, it was 11.1 Brix WRI which Brewers Friend, with the 1.040 correction (still not sure!?) says is 1.043 and 78% pre-kettle efficiency
- 7:22 Boil
- Both hop calls are for 0.19 oz at 4.5%AA or 0.855AAU . Mine German Tetttnang (which they said was the same as tettnanger) is 3.9. Therefore, I need 0.22
- I need to figure out the temperature control. My goal is 68F == 20C. I'll use a 0.5C =~= 1F. I'll also set a 7 minute compressor delay
- When I added the orange, I noticed about a minute later that it stayed in a clump. I used my hands to break it up. Hopefully I didn't loose too much...
- `8:53 Into the ice. Measured 20cm on ruler so 30.6-20=10.6cm = 4.17". V=pi/4d^2h = pi/4*(10.25"^2)(4.17") = 344.09 cubic inches == 5.96 qt (at boiling. Brewers friend converts that to 5.7 qt
- Measured 20 Brix WRI which BF (with 1.040) says is 1.080 for a 79% Ending kettle
- Time/temps: 9:04/92.1 (lid on). Pull at 9:15
- 18.2 Brix WRI (why did it drop?)
- 9:20. Pitched after using electric whisk to aerate
- 15.5 cm --> 5.89 qt. (This is higher than before. The temperature/volume conversion must be off). This is 1.072. Why so low? Anyway Brewers Friend gives 72%. I am not totally trusting all of these numbers. Especially the volume. And I need to use lower volumes pre-boil.
Fermented at 68F until March 7th (I think). Then cold crashed at 1*C until2014-04-24
- Cleaned and racked to bucket. Messed up and picked up some sediment in the process and probably a bit more aerated while trying to fix it (the sediment attached to the thing and i had to break the siphon and take it out to get it off). Oops. Hopefully it won't be too bad
- Measured 7.75 in the refractometer which (w/ 1.040 correction) gives 1.0040 and 94% attenuation!!!! I do not really trust those numbers but I have no other choice. 8.93% ABV
- 12.7 cm --> 1.16 gal or a clean 12 x 12 oz bottles. Actually, I'll do 10 12 oz and 1 22 to give enough clearance
- 1.16 gal at 68F aiming for 2.8 vols --> 1.10 oz sucrose (and 1.21 oz corn)
- Used a bit under 1/2 cup water
- I spilled a bit so the very final bottle was a tiny bit light. But it also picked up a ton of sediemnt. I noted this bottle
The final beer tasted rather awefull. I do not know if it is doomed or if it just need more time given the high alcohol. The taste wasn't of the harsh alcohols but rather maybe a bit cidery (could be from the sugar). I guess we'll wait and see but I do not have high hopes
Original Wordpress ID and Date: 7541, 2014-03-03_213319